Eric Gehrig

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

On to Columbus...

A very interesting day it was to say the least.  Woke up about 7:15 AM and hopped in the shower to get clean and wake myself up.  Had my normal breakfast out there of a pb and j, granola bar, banana, and some OJ.  We left the hotel around 8 for the Sporting KC facility to get our gear, tape, etc.  We started training around 9 at the KC Chiefs indoor facility a Arrowhead.  We did more scrimmaging and 11 v 11.  I played holding mid once again, and for the most part played well.  Back spasms started to linger near the end, so that was annoying.  Before ya knew it though, training had ended and now we would find out who was going to preseason.  I felt pretty good about me going, as they had hinted earlier I would be going and I thought I had a good showing. 

Well.....the assistant coach approached me and I found out some interesting news.  The Columbus Crew had claimed me as a discovery player, which to be honest I am still not fully informed on what it exactly is but they too saw me at a combine earlier this year and were interested in bringing me in.

I got this offline regarding a "discovery player" -

"Finally, the MLS also has what is called a discovery period, which means clubs will submit claims on players outside the league (foreigners and USL/NASL) who they are hoping to sign. Essentially, it gives them exclusive MLS rights to negotiate with that particular player, but if there are multiple claims on a player, the club with the poorer record this past season is awarded the rights. Teams are permitted to make as many as 10 claims, and discovery claims are usually kept confidential until a signing is imminent to avoid any potential hurdles."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/timbers/2010/08/building_an_mls_roster_part_1.html

So take that for what you want ha but, it does show that Columbus thought highly of me when they saw me initially in Omaha so, that's good.  I am excited for the new challenge and opportunity, no hard feelings in KC whatsoever.  I understand that at the end of the day, professional sports is a business and I really enjoyed my time in KC, both now and last year.  Players, coaching staff, and administration were all first-class.  Nothing in Columbus is guaranteed, as they weren't in Kansas City, so I will be giving it my all for sure once I get into camp.  I am supposed to receive a call tomorrow regarding specific details but I will be joining the Columbus Crew in Phoenix, Arizona for preseason early next week.  I will update that information as soon as I speak with the Crew of course.  As for now, I am currently sitting in the KC airport, awaiting my flight back home to Chicago.  Will be nice to see the family again and relax a little.  I will be back tomorrow hopefully with some updates.  Once again, thanks for checkin in  Shoutout to any of my little U10 boys checking in that I coached this fall with my brother.  Love you guys!

EG

3 comments:

  1. coach Eric, good luck with Columbus Crew.
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boy! Thanks buddy, means a lot. Miss you guys, keep playin hard and kickin butt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck ninja and crack someone for me...MAN UP

    ReplyDelete